Posts for tag: Podiatrist
- Ingrown toenails
- Chronic heel pain
- A broken foot or ankle
- Numbness, tingling or loss of sensation in the feet
- Severe pain
- Difficulty bearing weight on a foot or ankle
- A visible foot deformity
- Signs of infection (e.g. redness; swelling; fever)
- An ulcer or open wound
An ingrown toenail is a common problem involving a toenail growing sideways into the flesh of the toe, It can be very painful, however, there are things that you can do to ease the pain. Led by Dr. Silvers, Dr. Lloyd, and Dr. Witt, Advanced Foot and Ankle Center (offices in Prosper, TX, and McKinney, TX) offers a complete range of podiatric services to help your feet feel better. Don't take another painful step—here's how our podiatrists can help you with your ingrown toenails!
1. Antibiotics. In some cases, an ingrown toenail breaks through the skin and allows bacteria to enter the surrounding tissues next to the nail. Your podiatrist may recommend using oral or topical antibiotics in these cases.
2. Lifting the nail. Your podiatrist may lift the corner of the ingrown toenail by placing a cotton wedge, splint, or waxed dental floss under it. This separates the nail from the skin and helps the nail grow above the skin edge. At home, you will need to replace the material every day.
3. Partial nail removal. For a severe ingrown toenail, your podiatrist may trim or remove the ingrown part of the nail. Before the procedure, your doctor will numb your toe by injecting it with local anesthesia. The procedure helps to prevent the ingrown nail from returning.
4. Complete nail removal. If you have chronic pain or the infection returns, your doctor may recommend more surgery. Complete removal of the toenail is a simple procedure, and like partial removal, the toe will be numbed with local anesthesia. Your podiatrist will then use a laser, chemical, or other method to remove the nail.
Live your life without pain! Call Advanced Foot and Ankle Center at (972) 542-2155 today to schedule a consultation in McKinney or Prosper, TX. Our ingrown toenail treatments will eliminate your pain and help you reclaim your active life!